Friday, April 8, 2016

This Red Neck Can Cook Bruschetta



I am a total red neck. As I have posted before. I literally was born white trash. In the sticks. With no teeth.

I love learning about new recipes. I love food. I love eating food. Who doesn't??

So when I had this thought, "Hey, Red-Neck! You should make Bruschetta!

First of all, I can't even spell Bruschetta without using Google. How am I supposed to cook it?

Even as I write this there are the annoying little red squiggly lines underneath it still appear. Like insecurities and laundry. They are always there.

Hey! The good news! This recipe turned out awesome!! I think the moment of inspiration came when I was overhearing the episode of Cutthroat Kitchen in the background and they were assigned this dish. I had a small moment of anxiety. What if I were on this episode and I didn't really know how to make Bruschetta? Worse...what if they asked me how to spell it?

It literally had the same feeling you get when you dream about being naked in public.

...according to 'my friend' of course. Being that I have never had that dream.

So I did some research, talked to Mr. Molly Mormon, and started to think about things. I understood that this was the first time making something this fancy and I knew that the first time you make it you just need to accept that it's not going to turn out like the rest of the times you make it.

It's going to be like the first pancake. I just know it.

It actually turned out amazing! It wasn't red neck at all! Ahhh...look at me. I'm growing up.

The first thing I did was get up that morning and make a fresh batch of bread. I used one of the loaves for french bread. Of course buying your favorite crusty loaf or baguette at the store is just as awesome. If your interested in a bread recipe I have one posted. 

Ingredients:1/2 lb Pancetta
5 Garlic Cloves
1 Pint of Red Grape Tomatoes
1 Pint Yellow Grape Tomatoes
About 15 Fresh Basil Leaves
2 T Balsamic Vinaigrette
Salt & Pepper
Fresh Parmesan Cheese
Bread of Choice
Butter
Italian Seasonings

Directions:
1.In a hot saute pan, dice and cook the Pancetta until a crispy golden brown. Once cooked, remove the Pancetta from the saute pan, leaving the drippings.
2. Cook the 5 garlic cloves that are diced well in the Pancetta drippings. This will allow it to enhance the flavor of the garlic and pick up the Pancetta flavor in the garlic as well. Once the garlic is no more than golden brown, add it to the bowl of pancetta.
3. Cut the tomatoes in fours. I cut them in half, then half again. Add them to the pancetta and garlic.
4. Add 2 T of balsamic vinaigrette, the finely diced basil leaves and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Taste and modify according to your likeness.
6. Cut thin slices of Bread at an angle. Lightly Butter one side and sprinkle Italian Seasoning.

You really could carefully broil the bread to get a good crisp. No more than 40 seconds flat. But whom I kidding? I have six kids and a load of distractions I am certain I would burn my beloved house down.

I recommend laying them on the BBQ or just grilling them on the stove. Personally I don't like any more crisp on them then that so it works for us.

7. Once the Bread is done, sprinkle the mixture across the bread, sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese and enjoy those yummy flavors.

There are MANY variations of this recipe (all recipes!) if you add, take away, or find something you love, you should let us know! I love hearing more ideas on what works!

No comments:

Post a Comment